National Museum of American History – South Wing Entrance (please note: this is NOT A PUBLIC ENTRANCE).
Follow these directions carefully and refer to the map below:
- Walk up 12th Street towards the National Mall with Constitution Avenue behind you
- Make sure you are on the west side of the 12th Street, with the American History Museum on your right.
- Turn right onto the sidewalk leading to the Victory Garden at the National Museum of American History.
- Pass the garden and two playgrounds.
- Cross the street to an all-glass entrance.
- Use the doors on the left and give your name to the officer letting him/her know that you are a participant in the Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center’s Artful Afternoons program.
- The doors leading the program are to the left of the officer’s desk and there is buzzer to gain entry should you need it
What Age Should my Child Be to Participate?
Tickets are good for families of up to two caretakers and two children. The stations are designed for children in K-3 grades, but we invite children of all ages. If you bring a younger child, they will likely have fun experimenting with the materials and playing with the toys in our preschool classrooms. Caretakers will have to be mindful that the materials and tools provided are meant for older children.
Will there be a Museum Visit?
No, but a brochure will be provided that includes objects located on the nearby Mall. We encourage families to visit these objects on their own.
A nut-free snack is provided. If your child has an allergy other than nuts, please bring your own snack.
Getting to the Museum
We know it can be difficult finding parking, getting through traffic, or managing metro. Please give yourself some extra time so that when you find a street is closed or there is no parking nearby you can still make it on time.
We will try to notify you of large events and/or street closures within the vicinity of the Museum, but it is ultimately the registrant’s responsibility to plan their route. Consider checking http://www.godcgo.com/ before you travel.
Street parking is available, but fills up quickly. Consider utilizes apps to help you find a spot or pay for your meter the night before class. If all else fails, there are a number of garages within walking distance.
Closest stations: Federal Triangle, Smithsonian and Navy/Archives. Please check metro’s schedule for track work and delays.
Full refunds with up to two weeks’ notice. With one week notice, we offer transfers to another class. Transfers are subject to availability.