The Smithsonian Early Explorers Bilingual (SEE-B) program builds on 25 years of experience Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center (SEEC) educators have in using museums and community resources to enrich the lives of young children and provide a positive foundation for life-long learning experiences.
- The Smithsonian Early Explorers Bilingual is a subsidiary program of the Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center (SEEC)
- Classes meet Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Classes include caregiver and child
- Designed for families who are Spanish speakers or who are seeking Spanish-language enrichment for their children.
- Children 18 – 36 months are accepted into the program.
The Learning Environment
Classes meet at the National Museum of Natural History. Regular trips out of the classroom are integral to the SEEC curriculum. Children learn about their world through frequent excursions beyond the classroom into the Smithsonian Institution, as well as into the greater community. Parents/Caregivers should plan on spending time in spaces outside of the Natural History Museum and should dress their child accordingly.
SEE-B places an emphasis on STEAM or, science, technology, engineering, art, and math. Each session will focus on a general theme that will be explored through a variety of perspectives. Embedded in these themes are opportunities for the children to work on important developmental skills that are essential to any early childhood classroom. Finally, we provide open-ended experiences that give children the chance to play, explore, and create.
The language curriculum will focus on developing vocabulary that help children communicate basic wants and needs (a powerful tool for toddlers who are developing language skills). It will also incorporate songs and rhymes in the Spanish language. Additionally, each class will introduce a few key vocabulary words that relate to daily class themes. SEE Bilingual is not meant to be an immersion program, but an introduction to language in a way that encourages flexible thinking.
- Snack and Bathroom
- Learning Centers
- Morning Meeting
- Museum Visit
Parents or caregivers must participate in all aspects of the child’s experience and are required to participate in museum and community visits. Cell phone use is restricted to emergency calls and use as a camera.
- Winter Session ¦ January 8, 2018 – March 7, 2018
- Meets Two Days/ Week (Monday and Wednesdays)
- Spring Session ¦ April 4, 2018 – May 25, 2018
- Meets Two Days/ Week (Monday and TBD)
- $1400/trimester paid in 2 installments of $700 each.
- Smithsonian Employees and siblings receive a 20% discount
- Families must commit to attending for eight-week session.
- Please contact Cynthia Raso: firstname.lastname@example.org